Sunday, May 17, 2015

My Other Creations: Flashcard Yarn Holders

When I learned that this week's theme at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog was "X, Y, Z," my mind went down a regrettable math path!  I suddenly remembered all those tear-filled "solve for X sessions" that were had around the kitchen table with me bawling my eyes out over the futility of it all while my truly wonderful father would try to make math problems seem like fun little mysteries to solve.  The man is a math genius (ditto with my bro).  Bless all the enthusiastic mathletes out there, but "fun" and "math" will never "equate" in my brain!  And so it was revenge time.  I found some vintage subtraction flashcards and chopped them up into something useful: yarn holders!


I started with these vintage subtraction flashcards (ironically, my math problems started early with never mastering subtraction), which I cut into file-folder shapes with the Penny Black "Tags &Toggles" die set.


You know I love my Dina Wakley paints, so I grabbed those and finger-painted some color onto my cards (highly therapeutic, by the way). 


I picked up my sponges and my Distress Inks and rubbed some on.  And yes, math was starting to be tolerable...barely.


I used Ranger Jet Black Archival ink and stamped on a bunch of random stamp images.


Last but not least, I whipped out the watercolors and filled in the rest of the card with colors.


Here's how they all turned out before I wrapped yarn around them:


I wrapped some yarn around these and secured it with some decorative paper clips that I've had in my stash forever.  Now I have a nice place for some of my favorite yarn and I finally feel like I've gotten revenge on math!

Here are the supplies I used that you can get at Simon Says Stamp:



"XYZ" is an interesting theme and I can't wait to see what you come up with!  Upload your creations to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog and you'll be entered to win a $50 voucher to the Simon Says Stamp store!
http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/